Definition of a Bigot

Here's a recent post of a facebook friend of mine. 

"Disagreement is not hate; high time we realize honoring man-woman marriage is not hatred or bigotry."


A good example of words used as trickery. The words, in and of themselves, are perfectly true. I will stand up for anyone's rights to disagree with me and I truly hope people will honor man-woman marriage; I do.


Bigotry and hatred come in when you disagree so much with someone, or a group of someones, that you seek to withhold basic human rights and dignity from them. Or you express hatred and intolerance. Just saying; if the shoe fits...



Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.


People have the right, in this country, to disagree, argue, speak out against things and I do not wish to see this right taken away from anyone. I'm sure that after gay marriage is federally recognized and legal in this country there will still be those who don't agree. Prejudice will remain, judgement will remain. However, I want my civil rights and I want the law to recognize my relationship and give it the same weight given to any other committed relationship.

So my 'friend' I don't disagree with your post taken literally; however, I do disagree with the sentiment of your post. I won't go as far as to call my friends who are against marriage equality bigots. But I will ask them to dig deeper into who they really are and rid themselves of their bigoted notions about homosexuality.


I saw two red squares on facebook during the supreme court hearings. One was a red square with an equal sign, (some were adorned quite creatively), the other was a red square with the 'man/woman' emblem. The more I thought about these two symbols the more I realized that one is all inclusive and the other is exclusive. I choose inclusion.


Just one last word from me to those who choose exclusion. Tolerance does not feel like love, it feels like someone thinks they are better than you. I don't believe you are better than me and I don't believe your eternal rewards are better, or different, from mine. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment